Moving into a new house can be exciting, but it’s important to make sure your new home is clean and healthy before settling in. Even if your home is newly constructed or renovated, it may not be move-in ready. Dirt, debris, and construction residue can build up during the building or renovation process, so cleaning a new house before moving in is crucial.
So, should you clean a house before moving in and how clean a house should be before moving in? Let’s get into the details of these and more in this blog.
Here are the best tips to do a move in cleaning:
Before starting the cleaning process, it is essential to have all the necessary cleaning supplies on hand. This ensures that you don’t have to stop midway to go and buy more supplies. Here are some of the supplies you may need:
- Broom, dustpan, and/or vacuum: These will help you remove any loose dirt, debris, or dust from floors, carpets, and rugs.
- Mop or steam cleaner: After sweeping, you will need to use a mop or steam cleaner to give your floors a deep clean.
- All-purpose cleaner: This can be used on most surfaces in the house, including countertops, cabinets, and walls.
- Glass cleaner: Use this to clean mirrors, windows, and any glass surfaces.
- Bathroom cleaner: A specialized cleaner for bathrooms will be required to clean toilets, sinks, showers, and tubs.
- Toilet cleaner: A toilet cleaner will be used to remove stains and buildup in the toilet bowl.
- Oven cleaner: An oven cleaner will be used to clean the inside of your oven.
- Refrigerator cleaner: A refrigerator cleaner will be used to clean the inside of your refrigerator and remove any spills, stains, or odors.
- Gloves: You will need gloves to protect your hands during the cleaning process.
- Scrub brushes or sponges: These will be used to scrub surfaces and remove tough stains.
- Paper towels or cleaning cloths: Use these to wipe and dry surfaces after cleaning.
Start with the Basics
When it comes to cleaning a new house before moving in, it’s important to start with the basics. Here’s a step-by-step guide to get you started:
- Begin by sweeping or vacuuming all floors to remove dust, dirt, and debris. Don’t forget to pay special attention to corners, baseboards, and edges.
- After sweeping, use a mop or steam cleaner to give your floors a deep clean and get rid of any remaining dirt and grime.
- Thoroughly clean and sanitize all bathrooms, including toilets, sinks, showers, and tubs. Use a specialized bathroom cleaner and a scrub brush or sponge to remove any buildup, and don’t forget to clean the mirrors, cabinets, and drawers.
- Clean and sanitize the kitchen, including counters, sink, stove, and cabinets. Use an all-purpose cleaner and a scrub brush or sponge to remove any grime or buildup, and use specific cleaners to clean the inside of the oven and refrigerator.
Keeping your home clean is more than just a quick tidy-up here and there. One of the greatest tips to clean a new house before moving in is to give your home a good deep clean to tackle areas that may be overlooked during your regular cleaning routine. These spots can harbor dust, dirt, and grime, which can impact the health and appearance of your home.
Should you clean a house before moving in? the answer is an absolute ‘yes’! Here are some areas to focus on during your deep clean:
Cleaning Windows and Window Sills
Don’t forget about cleaning your windows and sills! It’s not just about looking good, it also affects the amount of natural light coming in. To get the job done, you need the right tools and techniques. Using a quality glass cleaner is one of the best ways to remove dirt and grime from your windows and sills. Make sure to also pay attention to the sills which can collect debris over time. With a glass cleaner, you’ll have a bright, clean, and healthy space to live or work in.
Dusting All Surfaces, Including Light Fixtures and Ceiling Fans
Dust can quickly accumulate on surfaces, leading to the buildup of allergens and irritants that can negatively impact indoor air quality. To effectively remove dust, it’s important to pay attention to all surfaces, including light fixtures and ceiling fans.
A duster is a useful tool for removing dust from hard-to-reach areas. By using a good quality duster, you can trap and remove dust easily. Regular dusting not only enhances the appearance of your space but also helps to improve indoor air quality, making it a vital part of your cleaning routine.
Cleaning Baseboards and Trim
Maintaining a clean and hygienic home or office requires more than just sweeping the floors and dusting surfaces. Cleaning baseboards and trim is an essential part of keeping your living or working space clean and healthy. These areas can quickly accumulate dust, dirt, and debris, which can not only be unsightly but can also contribute to poor indoor air quality.
To get started, gather a damp cloth or rag and any necessary cleaning supplies such as a vacuum, broom, or dustpan. Begin at one end of the room and wipe down the baseboards and trim with a damp cloth, being sure to clean any particularly dirty or dusty areas. Don’t forget to wipe down the top of the baseboard as well, as it can collect a significant amount of dust and debris.
If the baseboards and trim are heavily soiled or have stubborn stains, you may need to use a cleaning solution or a scrub brush to help loosen and remove the dirt. However, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and test it on an inconspicuous area first to avoid damaging the finish or color of the baseboards or trim.
After wiping down the baseboards and trim, use a vacuum, broom, or dustpan to collect any loose dirt or debris that may have fallen to the floor. This will prevent the dust and dirt from being redistributed around the room as you continue cleaning. By taking the time to clean your baseboards and trim regularly, you can ensure a healthier and more aesthetically pleasing living or working space.
Getting your appliances cleaned before moving into a new home is a crucial step in making sure they perform well and last longer. Cleaning your oven is especially important and requires a specially formulated oven cleaner. Be sure to follow the instructions and wear gloves. Remove the oven racks and soak them in warm, soapy water to clean them thoroughly.
For your refrigerator: clear out all shelves and drawers, getting rid of expired or spoiled items. A refrigerator cleaner should be used to wipe down the interior and address any spills or stains. Don’t forget to clean the shelves and drawers before putting them back. Cleaning your appliances is vital for maintaining their hygiene and preventing the buildup of harmful bacteria that could affect your food’s quality and your health.
Cleaning the inside of Cabinets and Drawers
When it’s time to give your cabinets and drawers a clean, don’t hold back on the TLC! Not only will it keep things looking great, but it’ll also help keep everything hygienic. Who wants to store their dishes and utensils in a dirty, grime-filled space? No thank you! That’s why a regular wipe-down is so essential. If you spot any stubborn stains or dirt, don’t sweat it! Just grab your trusty all-purpose cleaner or mix up some vinegar and water to tackle them.
But before you start putting everything back in, make sure to double-check that everything is completely dry. The last thing you want is a damp, musty cabinet or drawer. While you’re sprucing things up, don’t forget about those handles and knobs! They may be small, but they’re mighty when it comes to gathering dirt and grime. So go ahead, give your cabinets and drawers a good scrub, and show them some love!
Once you’ve completed all the cleaning tasks, it’s time to add some final touches to your new home. This can include:
- Putting up curtains or blinds to add privacy and style to your windows
- Hanging pictures or artwork to add personality to your walls
- Adding a welcome mat or rug to your entryway to create a warm and inviting atmosphere
- Setting up any furniture or decor that you brought with you from your previous home
DIY or Hire a Professional?
If you are still wondering about how clean should a new house be before moving in, it should be professional-level clean! When you’re moving into a new house, you’re usually tempted to save money by cleaning it yourself. While this is certainly an option, it’s important to consider the time and effort required. Depending on the size of your new house, cleaning it yourself could take days or even weeks.
Hiring a professional cleaning company may be a good option if you’re short on time or if you want the job done quickly and thoroughly. A professional cleaning company like My Cleaning Angel will have the tools and expertise to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Book cleaning services online with us now, it’s easy and fast. Get an instant quote in our booking page, select the date and book it!