Clean, fragrant carpets bring an elite feeling around the house. The softer the carpet, the more it is prone to liquid absorption and deep penetration. Having those dry cleaned is too much of a hassle, as it cannot possibly be done 7 days a week. A costly and tiresome job indeed. Cleaning vomits ranks high on the list of most unpleasant tasks, but with the right tools, it can be done. You can remove those icky stains from your carpet and the foul vomit odor from your home with determined elbow grease. We, at My Cleaning Angel are at your back and call to clean, be it fresh or dried vomit, so you don’t have to get your hands dirty. Home cleaning is with us.
Foul vomit odor, dirty appearance destroys the curb appeal and ambiance of your home. The smell lingers if the vomit is let to sit firmly. If you let the mess sit too long, the vomit will set deeper into the carpet fibers and possibly even the padding underneath. If that happens, this tough task can get nearly impossible.
So what could be a no-hassle, budget-friendly, and time-saving way to keep your carpets clean and smelling fresh? The good news is: there’s no one way to clean vomit but many!
The methods to clean vomit; be it fresh or dried vomit, vary only slightly.
Cleaning Vomit from Carpets
We all want to get rid of the gross thing on the carpet after someone just hurled as soon as possible, and it should exactly be done this way. It’s the easiest way, as the vomit won’t have time to penetrate the depth of your carpet. The acid in the vomit is less likely to damage your rug and the stench won’t have time to take hold.
Cleaning Dried Vomit from Carpets
No matter how much it is recommended, it’s not always possible to find a stain right away and clean it. It gets trickier especially if you have pets or children. Dried vomit can be difficult to remove, but not impossible.
- A trash bag
- A scented mask
- Rubber or latex gloves
- Distilled white vinegar, club soda, or hydrogen peroxide
- A spray bottle with warm water
- Microfiber cloths, rag, cleaning cloth, or old dish towels
- Either paper towels, a piece of cardboard, or s scrapper
- Broom and dustpan
- Baking soda, cornstarch, or sand
- Hand sanitizer
- A vacuum cleaner
- Put on the scented mask and your gloves of choice. It is recommended to gather supplies before beginning so you don’t have to pause in between and get the vomit cleaning done in one go. The gloves not only protect you from the smell and unpleasant substance of the vomit but also the germs.
- Clean the vomit with paper towels or a towel. After gathering all you can into the towel, put the towel in the washing and the paper towels in the plastic bag.
- You can also use cardboard pieces to scoop up the vomit; those will go straight in the trash can.
- For dried vomit: sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda over the affected area and place a towel over it. Let it sit for about 15 minutes. Vacuum and proceed with the next steps.
Ways to Dry Excess Moisture
Sprinkle cornstarch completely over the area. Allow the cornstarch to dry for a few minutes, making clumps. Then vacuum.
Pour a generous amount of baking soda over the stain. Leave it on until the clumps have formed and then dried. Then, vacuum the area. Repeat if necessary.
Paper towels/rag and water
Use a clean rag or paper towels and warm water to work out the remaining vomit. Pour/spray warm water onto the area. Start blotting out the moisture with a clean rag. When you blot, put some force into it to get out the water. Use white towels so you don’t transfer any patterns or dyes onto your carpet.
Ways for Removing the Stain
Spray the stain with a water and vinegar mixture. Place a damp white rag over the stain. With your iron on the steam setting, iron the spot. Continue as required. Pour club soda onto the stain. Press a clean rag over it, blotting up the moisture until the stain is gone.
Pour the mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide over the vomit and let sit for 30 minutes. Gently rub the carpet area with a rag, causing a lather to form. Blot up the moisture with a dry towel. Pour water over the spot afterward.
Generously spray the area with vinegar and water solution. Use a dry, clean cloth to dab at the stain after 15 minutes. Next, use a stiff brush to rub at the stain until it starts to loosen. Don’t over spray the area as it might discolor the carpet.
Ways for Getting Rid Of the Foul Odor
If you’ve used baking soda to absorb excess moisture, it will also get rid of the smell. It’s alkaline and will neutralize the foul odors instead of covering them up.
Mix equal parts of vinegar and water together, and spray/pour onto the smelly area. It may completely get rid of or lessen the foul vomit odor. However, vinegar may leave its smell behind.
Choose an odor-neutralizing spray or an air freshener.
There are some tips to keeping your home cleaner for longer you can learn. After cleaning this vomit, you should worry in how maintain your home clean.
- Putting pressure while cleaning vomit will press it into the carpet fibers, making it twice as hard to remove. Using flat objects, like cardboard or scrapers, to clean the vomit may help prevent this.
- Always place a cloth or towel between the iron and your carpet. Otherwise, your rug may burn. Keep sliding it across the area and never leave it on one spot for too long.
- Before starting to clean the vomit with the above methods, make sure to check the manufacture’s care instructions for your carpeting. Also, always perform a spot test whenever you set to clean carpets or rugs, before applying any solutions.
- Get rid of any vomit chunks from the towels used so they don’t clog your washing machine.
- Make sure the trash bag doesn’t have any holes from which vomit can spill onto the floor, making a double mess.
- Try to tend to clean vomit immediately after it happens. Cover it with sand or baking soda. Allow them to form clumps with the vomit, then use a broom and dustpan to sweep it up.
Bonus: Homemade Air Freshener!
Lavender is said to have soothing qualities. Use this warm and soft spray after you’re done with icky vomit cleaning. Freshen up your home!
- Few drops of lavender essential oil
- Spray bottle
- Measuring jug
- Chamomile essential oil, few drops
- Few drops of vanilla extract
Pour all the mentioned ingredients in the measuring jug, transfer the solution into a spray bottle mix well, and viola, your own fragrance is ready to be used.
You can always hire help from My Cleaning Angel to avoid going through the icky process of cleaning vomit from a carpet. Get in touch today!